Policies/Frequently Asked Questions
Please review this page before you arrive, you will find lots of answers here! If you don't find what you are looking for, please contact us.
Who is Shenandoah Woods?Shenandoah Woods is owned and operated by the Cave family. We live here and love this business. We live close by if you have any questions or needs.
How does the reservation process work?
If you are interested in making a reservation with Shenandoah Woods, please check the availability calendar first. We require half of the total rate to confirm your reservation. The second half of your balance is due seven days before your arrival. When your reservation is paid in full we will email you arrival instructions including directions and the combination to enter the property.
Is there a minimum stay?
There is a 2 night minimum stay and a 3 night minimum on holiday weekends.
Why are taxes cleaning fees extra?
While the base rate is a daily cost, cleaning fees are one-time charges. Keeping them separate allows us to offer you the lowest price whether you stay two nights or twenty. It also means you'll be charged sales tax only on the base rate - not on any other fees. Additionally, having our reservation system itemize these expenses cuts our bookkeeping time dramatically, so we can pass those savings along to you.
How secluded are these properties?
We have situated the properties to maximize seclusion. Some of our properties are so secluded you can't see any other structures. From some other properties you may be able to see another home through the woods.
What are the roads like?
This is mountainous property. The public roads are paved. However the roads in Shenandoah Woods are gravel or hard packed dirt surfaces. You may experience potholes, ruts, steep inclines and rough terrain. Most vehicles have no trouble accessing the properties as long as you drive safely and slowly. We do not recommend low profile vehicles such as sports cars for Old Wagon Lodge, Sunridge Retreat and Fern Bank Cabin. During inclement weather such as snow or ice you may be required to have 4 wheel drive or tire chains. We do have snow removal equipment and will make every attempt to clear roads as soon as possible during snow conditions. We do recommend travel insurance. We do not give refunds for road conditions that are out of our control.
What forms of payment are accepted?
Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, traveler's checks and cash. No checks please.
Where do I check in?
We do not have an office onsite. Guests are provided directions and combinations. You may let yourself in when you arrive.
What are the check-in and check-out times?
Check-in is anytime after 4:00pm and check-out is by 11:00am.
What is provided in the vacation rentals?
We provide sheets, towels, blankets, pillows, toilet paper, and paper towels. The kitchens have hardware like plates, glasses, flatware, pots, pans, coffee makers, etc. Please help us conserve our resources and place separated recyclables in the containers if provided.
What do vacation rental guests need to bring?
Toiletries, food, charcoal (if your property has a charcoal grill)
What is the cancellation policy of Shenandoah Woods?
If a reservation is cancelled at least 30 days before the arrival date the full amount of the initial payment will be refunded less a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel with less than 30 days notice but more than 7 days notice half of the initial payment will be refunded, less any credit card processing fees. If you cancel with less than 7 days notice there is no refund. Travel insurance is recommended.
Can guests use the picnic shelter at Willow Pond?
The picnic shelter is for all of our guests. If you would like to reserve a 2 hour period please post a notice at the shelter. There are picnic tables, a playground, a paddleboat and canoes at the pond. Use of any and all facilities and amenities is at your own risk. No swimming is allowed.
What is there to do in the area around Shenandoah Woods?
Take a look at our What's Nearby? page. From hiking and fishing to horse back riding and wineries, the Shenandoah Valley has lots to offer.
Which cabins are wheelchair accessible?
While none of our cabins are fully ADA compliant, there are a few good choices for for guests with limited mobility. Laurel Hill Cabin is a single-level cabin with a garage, entry ramp and master bath with grab bars. Fern Bank Cabin is another single-level cabin with an entry ramp. Lost Paddle Cabin and Kalmia Cabin both have entry ramps and everything you need on the main level.
Are dogs allowed in the Shenandoah Woods' vacation rentals?
Household pets are welcome only at Edensview Cabin, Whispering Pines Cabin and Simple Pleasures Cabin with prior notice. Disabled persons may be accompanied by a nationally registered service dog which has been trained to perform a specific task in any Shenandoah Woods property with prior approval. Emotional Support animals are not permitted. If you wish to bring a service dog, please answer the following in the QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS section when you make your reservation online: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? If you've already made your reservation, please contact us and answer the same questions as soon as possible. For the benefit of future guests with allergies, please keep the impact of any service animal to a minimum by having them professionally groomed before your arrival and keeping them off of all furniture. Never leave a service animal unattended inside a Shenandoah Woods rental property. Failure to comply in full with Shenandoah Woods' animal policies will result in immediate eviction and/or additional charges to the credit card on file for required cleaning and any assessed damages. If desired, we can provide you with contact information for a nearby boarding kennel to care for your pets during your stay with us.
Is smoking allowed in the Shenandoah Woods' vacation rentals?
There is no smoking permitted inside our properties. Cigarette butts are not to be thrown on the ground and any other smoking related waste is to be properly extinguished and immediately disposed of after use.
Are outdoor fires allowed?
Outdoor fires are permitted in designated fire pits and grills only. Please use extreme caution and follow any state or local fire restrictions. The use of fireworks is not permitted.
Will guests encounter any wildlife?
Wild animals share the Shenandoah Valley and our property. You may see deer, bear, raccoons, foxes, skunks, snakes, etc. Feeding or disturbing the wildlife is prohibited. Do not leave food and trash outside unless your property has outdoor trash containers. Please use caution and common sense.
Is hunting allowed?
Fishing is permitted at Willow Pond. For the safety of all guests, archery, discharging of firearms, trapping or hunting of any kind on Shenandoah Woods property is strictly prohibited and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Legal carry of weapons is permitted with adherence to Virginia State law.
Are there quiet hours?
Quiet hours are between 10:00 pm and 7:00 am. The owners and guests will cooperate to ensure a peaceful environment.
Where do we put trash and recyclables?
Please dispose of trash in the provided containers. Please rinse and sort recyclables and dispose in the marked containers, if provided.
Are the vacation rentals air conditioned and heated?
All of the Shenandoah Woods' vacation rentals have air conditioning and heating. Please do not set cooling controls below 72 degrees. If you open windows please turn off the HVAC system.
PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY.
By proceeding with this online reservation you are agreeing to the following:
In consideration of the rent received and the mutual promises contained herein, Shenandoah Woods, LLC does hereby lease and rent to Guest(s) such Rental Property under the following terms and conditions:
1. RENTAL PAYMENT – An advance payment equal to 50% of the total rental rate is due immediately. Reservations are not confirmed until this advance payment and rental agreement is received by Shenandoah Woods, LLC. The balance of rent is due seven days prior to arrival. The advance payment is not a damage deposit.
2. DAMAGE SECURITY – Guest agrees that damages and charges accrued such as pay-per-view programming will be charged to Guest's credit card.
3. RULES AND REGULATIONS - Guests agree to abide by all rules and regulations contained herein and in the property's information book and posted signage. Guest's obligations include but are not limited to keeping the premises as clean and safe as the conditions of the premises permit and causing no unsafe or unsanitary conditions in the premises. Guests agree not to use the premises for any commercial activities or purpose that violates any criminal law or governmental regulation. Guest shall not use or permit on the premises any illegal controlled substances, firearms, or items hazardous to persons or property. The use of all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles is prohibited. Smoking is not allowed inside the property. Guest shall be quiet and peacefully enjoy the premises so as not to disturb neighbors. Guest acknowledges that exterior video monitoring systems may be used to observe and record activity. Guest’s breach of any duty contained in this paragraph shall be considered material and shall result in the termination of guest occupancy with no refund of any kind.
4. OCCUPANCY – IN NO EVENT SHALL THE RENTAL PROPERTY BE OCCUPIED BY MORE PERSONS THAN DESCRIBED ON THE RESERVATION, WITHOUT PRIOR APPROVAL BY SHENANDOAH WOODS, LLC. No fraternities, school, civic, or other non-family groups are allowed unless Shenandoah Woods, LLC grants prior approval. In no event shall Guest assign or sublet the Rental Property in whole or in part. Violations of these rules are grounds for expedited eviction with no refund of any kind. Guests hereby acknowledge and grant specific permission to agents of Shenandoah Woods, LLC to enter premises at any time for inspection purposes should Shenandoah Woods, LLC reasonably believe that Guests are causing or have caused any damage to Rental Property or reasonably believe that there are a greater number of approved guests or reasonably believe there is a non-approved pet present. Guest further agrees to grant agents of Shenandoah Woods, LLC access to Rental Property for purposes of maintenance and repair. If listed “For Sale”, Guest agrees to grant access by scheduled appointment upon notification.
5. CANCELLATIONS - In the event Guest wishes to cancel this agreement, a full refund of the rents received, less a $50 cancellation fee, will be issued if the cancellation is made more than 30 days in advance of the arrival date. 25% of the total rental amount shall be forfeited if the cancellation is made with less than 30 days but more than 7 days in advance of the arrival date. If cancellation is within 7 days of the arrival date, 50% of the total rental amount shall be forfeited.
6. PETS - A select number of properties allow pets, please consult www.shenandoahwoods.com. Guest must inform Shenandoah Woods, LLC of their intention to bring a pet(s). Guest is responsible for cleaning the area around Rental Property of all pet excretions. Guest agrees to pay a non-refundable Pet Fee, of $10 per pet, per night. Any material damage by pet(s) to the Rental Property will be the responsibility of the Guest and shall be paid immediately upon notification by Shenandoah Woods. Any evidence of undeclared pet(s) found in or about a NO PET property may result in expedited eviction, forfeiture of all monies paid, and a non-declared pet charge of $150.00 per pet assessed.
7. PROPERTY CONDITION - No refunds will be provided due to inoperable appliances, pools, hot tubs, elevators, telephones, internet, games, etc. Shenandoah Woods, LLC will make every reasonable effort to assure that such appliances will be and remain in good working order. No refunds will be given due to power blackouts, water shortage, flooding, snow, construction at adjacent properties, or mandatory evacuations of the area by government officials due to potentially dangerous situations arising from acts of God or nature. Travel insurance is recommended. You are renting a home, the property and contents are to be left as they were found. Dishes are to be cleaned, messes are to be cleaned, trash and recyclables are to be disposed of in the provided receptacles. Furniture may not be moved.
8. PROPERTY ACCESSIBILITY – Guest understands that the property is located in a mountainous area. Roads may contain potholes, ruts, steep inclines and rough terrain. Most vehicles have no trouble accessing the property as long as you drive safely and slowly. Low profile vehicles such as sports cars are not recommended. During inclement weather such as snow or ice you may need a 4 wheel drive vehicle and/or tire chains. Shenandoah Woods, LLC will make every reasonable effort to keep roads in passable condition. No refunds will be provided for road conditions arising from acts of God or nature. Travel insurance is recommended.
9. LOST AND FOUND - A $30.00 fee, plus packing and shipping costs, applies to any Lost and Found items that Shenandoah Woods, LLC is requested to return to Guests. Items not claimed within seven days of departure will be disposed of at the discretion of Shenandoah Woods, LLC.
10. INABILITY TO TRAVEL - Guest is not entitled to any claim against Shenandoah Woods, LLC or the property owners arising out of Guest's inability to complete his/her travel plans for any reason outside of the control of Shenandoah Woods, LLC. Travel insurance is recommended.
11. HOT TUBS - If a hot tub is provided at the Rental Property, it will be prepared and tested for proper and safe chemical levels prior to occupancy. Hot tub may be refilled on the day of your arrival and may not be warm until later that evening. Guest agrees to abide by the hot tub rules posted near the hot tub. Misuse of hot tub by the addition of foreign substances into the tub, i.e. alcohol, grass, mud, soap, shampoo, oils, glass or metal will result in a $200 draining and cleaning fee. Under no circumstances are pets allowed in hot tubs. Children must be supervised at all times. Use of the hot tub is at Guests' own risk. Violation of these provisions and the rules posted near the hot tub shall be grounds for expedited eviction and guest shall not be entitled to the return of any rental monies paid under the terms of this Agreement.
12. BEDDING/TOWELS – Bed linens and towels are provided. Bed linens MUST be used on all beds. Guests may NOT sleep on top of bed quilts, bedspreads, duvet covers, etc. Failure to use linens may result in a substantial mattress replacement charge. Guest is responsible for reimbursing the cost of any lost or damaged linens/towels.
13. FIREPLACES – Fireplaces may be a non-vented propane gas log firebox. Please do not place food, paper or any other materials in the fireplace. Please do not make any adjustments inside the firebox. Use caution as fireplaces may be very hot. Fireplaces may not be operational during the summer months. Please turn off fireplaces when not in use.
14. FIRE PITS AND COOKING GRILLS – Guest is responsible for supplying firewood and charcoal unless otherwise specified in the property description. Firewood may not be gathered from the property. Do not burn anything other than firewood and kindling. Fires must be supervised at all times. Guest is responsible for ensuring that fires are fully extinguished after use. Use extreme caution using fire pits and grills. Local fire laws and bans must be observed.
15. WATER AND SEPTIC – The properties use private wells and septic systems. The mineral content in the water may be high and the well water may have an odor and/or color. The septic system is effective under normal conditions; however, it will clog if improper material is flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper. Feminine hygiene products may not be flushed at anytime. If it is found that improper products have been flushed causing a clog in the septic system, Guest will be responsible for repair charges.
16. SPEED LIMIT - The speed limit on the roads in Shenandoah Woods is 15 MPH. The roads in Shenandoah Woods are used by guests for walking. The roads are gravel covered, steep in some areas, and have sharp, blind curves. DRIVE WITH CAUTION!
17. INDEMNITY - In the event Shenandoah Woods, LLC or the property owner is unable to make Rental Property or a reasonable substitute available for any reason other than described above Guest agrees Shenandoah Woods, LLC sole liability as a result of this unavailability is to provide a full refund of all monies paid under this Agreement and Guest expressly acknowledges that in no event shall Shenandoah Woods, LLC be held liable for any special or consequential damages which result from this unavailability. Guest also agrees to indemnify Shenandoah Woods, LLC from and against liability for injury to Guest or any other person occupying Rental Property resulting from any cause whatsoever including, but not limited to, injury sustained as a result of use of the spa, hot tub, whirlpool tub, exercise equipment, furniture, etc. except only such a personal injury caused by the gross negligence or intentional acts of Shenandoah Woods, LLC.
18. BREACH OF TERMS - Shenandoah Woods, LLC may terminate this Agreement upon the breach of any of the terms hereof by Guest. In such case Guest shall not be entitled to the return of any rental monies paid under the terms of this Agreement and shall vacate the Property immediately.
I understand the rules and rental conditions upon which I am agreeing to rent accommodations, roads, equipment, and use of the property, watercraft, water and land. I acknowledge and accept that the sole responsibility for safety lies with the participant. In agreeing to this, I acknowledge that outdoor, mountain, water, and camping activities and exposure to the natural elements and animals can be dangerous and sometimes result in injury and even death. Riverbanks, streams, ponds, steps and decks can be slippery, animals and insects can threaten and infect or injure, exposure to the elements can cause hypothermia, sunburn, among other risks inherent in participating in camping, outdoor and water activities. I know that alcohol and/or drugs do not mix safely with any outdoor activity. I am over the age of 18 (and assume responsibility for those in my charge under the age of 18.) I hereby assume all legal responsibility for bodily injury to me or to any person on the property as a result of my visit and use, operation or possession of equipment hired or loaned to me. Acknowledging this, I accept complete responsibility for the minor children, guests, and myself in my charge and visit the property and equipment and engage in activities or events at my own risk. The property I rent will be returned in the same condition in which it was rented and I will be responsible for all damage and/or loss that occurs during my rental period. I will abide by the rules and accept these rental conditions:
1) I agree to hold harmless and to indemnify Shenandoah Woods, LLC and the property owners against all loss, damage, expense and penalty on account of personal injury or property damage to the rental dwellers, the undersigned or to any minor child or children in the charge of the undersigned, howsoever rising, whether by act or acts or failure to act of the employees, owners or animals of the said company or property owners or not.
2)I acknowledge receipt of the property in good order and condition (if found otherwise upon my arrival I will contact Shenandoah Woods, LLC immediately) and further agree that the owners of the property shall not be liable for consequential damages of any kind or nature from whatever cause arising, whether property or equipment is loaned or rented.
3)I enter into agreement freely with the property owners at my own risk, acknowledging the risks inherent in outdoor and water activities and assume any and all responsibility for myself, all guests in my party, and the minor children in my charge.
4)All parties agree to and will comply with Federal, State and County laws and any other applicable laws and regulations.
This Agreement shall be enforced under the laws of the State of Virginia, including the VIRGINIA VACATION RENTAL ACT, and represents the entire Agreement. Any amendments must be in writing. In the event of a dispute, legal action may only be instituted in the County within which the Rental Property is located. If any part of this Agreement shall be deemed unenforceable by law, that part shall be omitted from this Agreement without affecting the remaining Agreement.